Practical Web Programming

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Views From A Fellow Blogger

Last night I recieved an email from a blogger, who happens to read about my blogger's corner campaign that I sent through email. This was his actual message:

I was going thru your blog today, after reading ur mail. You have a real nice blog, i can go endlessly praising ur blog and work.

I would like to point out one thing to you about ur blog, under the column "About Me" you should be writing about you and it should read like, I am a full-time systems developer......my hobbies include.............,in short you are saying about your self and with ur current introduction it looks like you are being described by a third person.

Its just my views. anyways wish you all the best in your blogging and wish you all the best in life now and always.

Bye for now.
Pankaj

I told him that I did it on purpose. And this was his reply:

As I said earlier,its just my view, it gives an impression that you have people employed to post to your blog.

To clarify this, I don't hire anybody to write for this blog. All that is written here are products of my own imagination.

I was thankful to 'Pankaj' for sending his views. I didn't realized until then that my 'About Me' section gaves my readers the impression that I hire somebody to write for this blog.

So at that instant, I changed the texts in my 'About Me' section from this:
Joel Badinas is a full-time systems developer who likes the idea of having a passive income through the internet. His hobbies includes web programming, internet surfing, blogging, reading computer books and making money online.
To this:
I'm a full-time systems developer who likes the idea of having a passive income through the internet. My hobbies includes web programming, internet surfing, blogging, reading computer books and making money online.

The moral lesson, sometimes we miss little details that only our readers notice. We have to be open-minded to consider their opinion.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi joel,

honestly, a lot (and i mean a lot) of bloggers -- professional and casual blogger alike -- have their About Me section in third person POV. as you said, you did it in purpose, and that was perfectly all right. :)

the About Me page doesn't reflect the fact if other people were employed to manage one's blog. the blog posts themselves do that. if a reader interprets a blog through the About Me page, then i fear he/she hasn't traversed the Philippine blogosphere enough, much more the whole global blogosphere.

just my two cents. keep on blogging, man.

Recent Post